Dr. Brown subscribes to the philosophy of naturopathy, which is a system of medicine that focuses on prevention and support of the body’s inherent healing abilities to optimize healthy function. The foundational principles of naturopathy include:
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Identify and Treat the Causes
- First Do No Harm
- Doctor as Teacher
- Treat the Whole Person
Modalities used in natural medicine are clinical nutrition, herbal medicine, and homeopathy.
- Clinical Nutrition:
- Dr. Brown believes that diet plays an integral role in a person’s overall health. He recommends a diet that is rich in nutrient-dense foods such as organic meats and vegetables and free of pro-inflammatory foods such as wheat, corn, soy, cow dairy, and processed sugar. This biochemically correct plan promotes blood sugar stabilization, proper digestion, optimal metabolic function, and weight management. For more information on this diet, recipes, and help with meal planning, click here.
- In an ideal world, our diet would supply all of our essential nutrients. However, many people have nutrient deficiencies related to poor dietary choices over a period of time. In addition, stress and various health challenges can lead to the depletion of specific essential nutrients. Because of this, Dr. Brown utilizes nutritional supplements such as vitamins, minerals, and/or essential fatty acids based on individual need. Since all supplements are not created equal, Dr. Brown has high standards on which ones he recommends, and therefore, only uses professional grade products of the highest quality.
- Herbal Medicine: Herbal medicine has been used from the beginning of recorded history to treat a wide variety of conditions. In fact, many pharmaceutical drugs have been derived from herbs. While there are times that these isolated high dose pharmaceutical compounds are necessary, there are many benefits to using herbs in their natural form to support healthy organ system function. Herbs in their natural state contain various phytochemical compounds that work together to enhance their therapeutic effect. Dr. Brown has spent many years studying these effects and utilizes them in his practice based on individual need.
- Homeopathy: Homeopathic medicines are diluted natural substances that stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities. Homeopathy is based on the principle that a substance that causes symptoms in a healthy person can be used to treat those same symptoms in a sick person by stimulating the body’s vital force. Homeopathic medicine has been used successfully for over 200 years in many countries and by prominent people such as Gandhi and the British royal family. In Dr. Brown’s opinion, it is the most powerful yet underutilized therapy in natural medicine because it is very safe, effective, and can be used with anyone from infant to elderly without the risk of drug interaction.